Customer Portal Deployment

May 27, 2010 at 2:57 PM

Hi, I'm new to CRM. I'm working on customer portal deployment, with a on-premise structure. I made the customizations and used websitecopy.exe to copy xml content successfully. Now I'm in the step of copying web site files. I dont know where to copy. I found that CRM is in the  inetpub/wwwroot. But if I copy the folder named "Customer-Portal-R2" it doesnt seem to be read there. If I copy "website" folder in Customer-Portal-R2 there becomes a conflict that there are two bin files. A file with the same name exists in both of them. Should I overwrite or what? Thanks for help.

May 28, 2010 at 11:47 AM

hi, from my understanding you would need to set up the portal as a different website or on a different server. We use that latter for our portal.

Jun 17, 2010 at 2:49 PM

This discussion should be in the discussions for the new portal accelerator (http://customerportal.codeplex.com)

As egoddard has pointed out, the customer portal is designed to be run on a web server as a completely separate website.  Please do NOT make any modifications to the IIS website that is hosting your CRM application.  The instructions are included in the new customer portal accelerator and they show you how to create a new website to host the web code for the new portal.

Shan McArthur
www.shanmcarthur.net

Jun 18, 2010 at 3:11 PM

Shan,

First time I've heard about the new portal accelerator. What does it offer that the current one doesn't have.

Kind regards,

Edwin

Jun 18, 2010 at 4:03 PM

The new portal is modern.  It is built upon a web content management framework that is tightly coupled with CRM.  I call it the xRM Portal Framework.  From a development standpoint, it represents the most modern approaches to portal development and includes things like membership/role/profile/sitemap providers, includes ASP.NET development features like templating expressions, data source controls, and server controls, and it also supports modern development techniques like ajax and silverlight with the WCF Data Services (OData) capabilities included in the framework.  It also has code-gen capabilities with a LINQ-to-CRM provider, and it supports all CRM deployments (on-prem, partner hosted, and Online).

From a functionality standpoint, it includes all the capabilities of the old eService and events accelerators, plus lead generation.  Most of the views in the portal can be adjusted by modifying views in the CRM.  The entire portal is skinnable to meet your own branding requirements, and it is built upon a CMS so that you can edit the content in-place, and create new content pages without involving a developer.

Shan