IndexOutOfRangeException when browsing to PRM portal

Aug 25, 2010 at 11:22 AM

First, while I have programming experience, I am not an experienced .NET developer, so my ability to diagnose a problem related to the PRM portal using source code is limited.  I need help.

I installed the PRM accelerator "on-premises" per documentation on a Windows 2008 Server (IIS 7) that is running a multi-tenant IFD installation of CRM 4.0.  I am able to see the CMS in the CRM organization and there appears to be content for the portal's pages.  My connection in the web.config file of the PRM portal is set up for AD and it appears to be authenticating.  However when I browse to the portal I get a blank page.  If I turn on "friendly messages" in Internet Explorer I get Error 500 with no other qualifying information about the error.

Looking at the Windows 2008 server application log, the follwing .NET warning message is occurring:

Event code: 3005
Event message: An unhandled exception has occurred.
Event time: 8/25/2010 4:52:54 AM
Event time (UTC): 8/25/2010 8:52:54 AM
Event ID: 4e34ffbf26cd49c092f5af21cd3c8b7c
Event sequence: 2
Event occurrence: 1
Event detail code: 0

Application information:
    Application domain: /LM/W3SVC/2/ROOT-7-129271999741994859
    Trust level: Full
    Application Virtual Path: /
    Application Path: C:\inetpub\wwwroot\AWC_WebPortal\Website\
    Machine name: JAX-V-WS02

Process information:
    Process ID: 3972
    Process name: w3wp.exe
    Account name: NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE

Exception information:
    Exception type: IndexOutOfRangeException
    Exception message: Index was outside the bounds of the array.

Request information:
    Request URL: http://awc.partner.saniglaze.com/
    Request path: /
    User host address: 66.129.82.4
    User: 
    Is authenticated: False
    Authentication Type: 
    Thread account name: NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE

Thread information:
    Thread ID: 5
    Thread account name: NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE
    Is impersonating: False
    Stack trace:    at Microsoft.Xrm.Portal.Data.Services.CrmDataContextFactory.Create(Type contextType, String name)
   at Microsoft.Xrm.Portal.Data.Services.CrmDataContextFactory.Create(String name)
   at Microsoft.Xrm.Portal.Cms.WebsiteSelectors.NameWebsiteSelector.GetWebsitesByName(String name)
   at Microsoft.Xrm.Portal.Cms.WebsiteSelectors.NameWebsiteSelector.GetWebsite()
   at Microsoft.Xrm.Portal.Web.SiteContext.get_Website()
   at Microsoft.Xrm.Portal.Web.SiteContextModule.RewritePath(Object sender, EventArgs args)
   at System.Web.HttpApplication.SyncEventExecutionStep.System.Web.HttpApplication.IExecutionStep.Execute()
   at System.Web.HttpApplication.ExecuteStep(IExecutionStep step, Boolean& completedSynchronously)

Custom event details:

The message about the array is pretty self-exlanatory, it's just that I have no idea what array in which code, or more pointedly what's wrong with the istallation that's causing the arrays boundaries to be exceeded.

Can anyone help me diagnose what is creating this warning and the blank page in the browser?

I am also wondering if anyone can explain to me why I need this application registered with a Windows Live ID since it is "on-premises" and uses Active Directory for authentication?

Aug 25, 2010 at 4:47 PM

Can you provide your connection string?  It is likely that your connection string is not configured properly.

You are using an IFD installation.  Is the server that the website is running on using an inside zone (ie: AD) or is it considered external and required to use IFD?  Another way to ask this:  if you RDP to the server that will be running the website, and you open your browser to the CRM, do you get an IFD screen?

Thanks,
Shan McArthur
www.shanmcarthur.net

Aug 25, 2010 at 5:03 PM
Thanks for the response. Here's the entire web.config. It's a demo site I'm using to learn from before I mess up a customers live site. I'll change the password later. In the interim if there's anything you want to look at, there's nothing you can't see.
We are a service provider in the Microsoft SPLA program. I ran the IFD tool as part of the installation of the CRM. At that point I could browse to CRM from the desktop using http://localhost and I was not challenged to authenticate.
When I added the portal I added bindings in IIS for the URL's of the various web sites. So now I cannot get to either of the CRM organizations or the portal without using and externally supported DNS for the URL binding. However, were I to stop the portal site and remove the bindings I would suspect that I could still browse to CRM behind the firewall without being challenged.
Bruce Franklin
inControl Online, Web.Dox™, and Microsoft As A service are hosting services from ManaSyst, Inc.
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: The information and all attachments contained in this electronic communication are privileged and confidential information and intended only for the use of the intended recipients. If the reader of this message is not an intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any review, use, dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately of the error by return e-mail and please permanently remove any copies of this message from your system and do not retain any copies, whether in electronic or physical form or otherwise.
Thank you.

Sent: Wednesday, August 25, 2010 11:47 AM
To: Bruce Franklin
Subject: Re: IndexOutOfRangeException when browsing to PRM portal [crmaccelerators:224756]

Can you provide your connection string? It is likely that your connection string is not configured properly.

You are using an IFD installation. Is the server that the website is running on using an inside zone (ie: AD) or is it considered external and required to use IFD? Another way to ask this: if you RDP to the server that will be running the website, and you open your browser to the CRM, do you get an IFD screen?

Thanks,
Shan McArthur
www.shanmcarthur.net

Aug 31, 2010 at 2:24 AM

Shan,

I know you must be swamped.  You seem to be the only expert.

The CRM is configured in IFD as IFD & on-premises.  And it functions as both.  No logon required from the server desktop and authentication challenge when accessed from outside the local network.  I moved the portal to a Windows 2003 server on the DMZ side of the firewall (the CRM and the first portal attempt is on the LAN in a private network using one-to-one NAT when public IP Address access is needed).

After jockeying with the connect string I am now getting a recognizable error in my browser.  It is in the attached Word document.  Essentially something has picked up a path from the workstation I used to modify the web.config and do the Visual Studio “build” before I copied the site to the server.  I highlighted the incorrect path in red.  I searched the registry and the web.config file and this erroneous path does not appear in either.

How did it get into the code?  Is there a configuration issue with my Visual Studio?

Bruce Franklin

Desktop Host, Web.Dox™, and Microsoft As A service are hosting services from ManaSyst, Inc.

Visit our new web site at www.ManaSyst.com for details on all of our services

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: The information and all attachments contained in this electronic communication are privileged and confidential information and intended only for the use of the intended recipients. If the reader of this message is not an intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any review, use, dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately of the error by return e-mail and please permanently remove any copies of this message from your system and do not retain any copies, whether in electronic or physical form or otherwise.

Thank you.

Sent: Wednesday, August 25, 2010 11:48 AM
To: Bruce Franklin
Subject: Re: IndexOutOfRangeException when browsing to PRM portal [crmaccelerators:224756]

Can you provide your connection string? It is likely that your connection string is not configured properly.

You are using an IFD installation. Is the server that the website is running on using an inside zone (ie: AD) or is it considered external and required to use IFD? Another way to ask this: if you RDP to the server that will be running the website, and you open your browser to the CRM, do you get an IFD screen?

Thanks,
Shan McArthur
www.shanmcarthur.net

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (crmaccelerators@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email crmaccelerators@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe on CodePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at CodePlex.com