eService Web Portal - Create New CRM Contact

Sep 29, 2010 at 2:20 PM

Hey, 

I've had a search through the forum and I haven't found anyone trying to do this, if anyone knows of another thread, could you drop me a link?

Basically, we are using CRM for a customer who wants to allow Contacts to actually "sign up" through the web portal, which the existing Sample Portal doesn't seem to support at all, becuse it just seems to link a portal account to a Contact. Has anyone got any experience in creating a user without needing to be logged in?

I understand that the Portal stored usernames and addresses in a seperate asp user database thingy (technical term there..) so I really need to know if it's possible to expose the basic fields of a user (Or even a "Web Signup" custom entity) allow it to be saved to CRM and kick off a "Create new contact" workflow, which would in turn kick off a workflow to create their web portal login and e-mail them at the address provided.

Does that make sense? Does anyone know if/how this would be possible and could they point me in the right direction to develop it?

Thanks a lot, 

Mark McGookin

Sep 29, 2010 at 3:03 PM

The old eservice, event accelerator, and PIA accelerators have been replaced this spring with the introduction of the xRM portal framework in the CRM 4.0.0012 SDK and the new customer and partner portal accelerators.  Your scenario can easily be done with the new accelerators.  One example site that implements this is www.xrmvirtual.com.  The new portal accelerators use any ASP.NET membership provider and the two samples ship with Live ID implementations.  The commercial version of these portals is from Adxstudio and they also have a membership provider that uses CRM contacts.  I would recommend you start by reviewing the new customer portal at http://customerportal.codeplex.com

Shan McArthur
www.shanmcarthur.net  

Sep 30, 2010 at 9:25 AM

Shan, 

Thanks very much for the reply. Do you think it would be possible to just integrate the new features for the signup and use the old ones for the rest of the portal, as it's already been developed/customised and is pretty deadline critical.... 

Cheers, 

Mark

Sep 30, 2010 at 4:19 PM

If you look at the new accelerators, you will immediately notice that they are built upon a CMS (content management system) model.  The new accelerators have a very strong set of server controls, asp.net providers, template expressions, data source controls, caching, and was built as a strong xRM portal framework.  If your developers have been customizing the old accelerators which were built upon a very old asp.net 2 model without a framework, I cannot make the assessment of how to integrate the two.  I would highly recommend that your developers review the site code for the new accelerators and make their own assessment.

Shan

Sep 30, 2010 at 4:48 PM

Shan, 

Thanks for this, I have written some code to enable me to directly use the CRM Web Service to create the entity that I need. This way I can use the strengths of the old accelerators, and have some extra functionality. I read reviews on the new accelerators, and they looked like they were still full of bugs, so this option seems safer.

Thanks for your help. 

Mark

Sep 30, 2010 at 6:04 PM

I would recommend reading the forums instead.  You will see that there are very few bugs and that many people are successful and very happy with the new accelerators.  There were some shortages in the documentation, but the portals are very stable.  Again I recommend that you download them and try them.  They are FAR superior to the old portals and MUCH better for development.

Shan