eService Accelerator for CRM 2011 online and on premise

Jan 20, 2011 at 4:49 PM

Hi,

Is there an update on when the eService Accelerator will be ready for CRM 2011....and, will it be compatible with both the on-line and on-premise versions?

Happy Thursday!

Voni

Jan 20, 2011 at 5:04 PM

Hello Voni,

I don't know if you are aware, but the eService accelerator was replaced by the customer portal last spring.  The new portals support all deployment models.  The portals have also been upgraded to CRM 2011 support, and will be available in the marketplace very soon.  The old eService and events accelerators are no longer supported and will not be ported to CRM 2011.

Shan McArthur

Feb 15, 2011 at 2:40 PM

Thanks for the information Shan.

After using the customer portal & eService tools there are many cases where the eService tool is a better fit.

If you don't need the content management, event management, and windows live then the customer portal can add unrequired complexity. For asp.net developers the design of the eService was easier to pickup and extend than the customer portal.

Hopefully someone in the community converts the eService to 2011 as it is a great solution. (If the licencing agreement lets you)

JdZ

Feb 15, 2011 at 3:37 PM

Jdz,

The customer portal is built upon the xRM portal framework which is now in the CRM SDK.  This framework does have a CMS, but you are not required to use it at all.  You can certainly use the simple data source controls, LINQ query provider, and other controls in standard asp.net web pages.  I would completely disagree with you that the code in the old eService accelerator is easier than the new controls in the xRM portal framework.  The eService framework required your developers to work with a LOT of different code, and make modifications to it to suit their needs, and it only has a very small subset of functionality compared to the xRM portal framework.  The portal framework was designed as a framework to simplify web development and make it 'just like sql'.  Even the act of connecting to CRM is as simple as a connection string.  It is also brought forward to newer versions of ASP.NET, where the old eService accelerator was designed using ASP.NET 1.x & 2.0 capabilities.

Here is a video I did about a year ago on the technology and showing developers how easy it is to use from a programming model: http://www.xrmvirtual.com/events/advancedportals

The only thing that I view as overly complex in the customer portals is the Live ID implementation.  It was shipped using the best practices and dealt with all known security threats.  As such, the invitation mechanism and registration process is a little complex, especially if you are not familiar with Live ID.  That said, the portal supports any membership provider and the customer portal is not tied to Live ID specifically.

Can you point out what specifically is so good in the eService accelerator that wasn't good in the portals so that I can review the functionality in the portals to see what needs to be improved or new functionality that could be brought forward to CRM 2011?

Thanks,
Shan

Mar 3, 2011 at 4:51 PM

Hi Shan,

So, the eService accelerator is not recommended for 2011 or will it not work entirely?  I'm not familiar with the customer portal but I will give it a look.  Is that new with 2011?

Mar 3, 2011 at 4:57 PM

The eService accelerator was deprecated in CRM 4, with all of the functionality being replaced by the customer portal accelerator.  The customer portal was released last spring for CRM 4. The eService accelerator was not upgraded to CRM 2011, but the Customer Portal accelerator was upgraded and is now available in the marketplace at the following url:

http://dynamics.pinpoint.microsoft.com/en-US/applications/Customer-Portal-for-Microsoft-Dynamics-CRM-2011-12884910826

Support for the CRM 2011 version of the customer portal is available at this url:

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/crmlabs/threads

The customer portal for CRM 4 is available at this url:

http://customerportal.codeplex.com/

Mar 3, 2011 at 5:00 PM

Thanks for the info and quick reply!

May 8, 2012 at 9:43 PM

I have E Service Acc. installed and I am going to upgrade my CRM 4.0 to CRM 2011. WIll this upgrade the E Service acc. with it or will this fail the whole upgrade or will the upgrade for CRM go through and E Service components are just going to be left as orphan something like what happens with C360 stuff.

May 8, 2012 at 9:48 PM

The CRM solution should upgrade with no issues but you might fight with the requirement of having the CRM 4 SDK installed on the server.  The entities will be unmanaged after the upgrade.  You then have the option of installing the customer or partner portal solution, which will then take the unmanaged entities and turn them into managed entities from now on.  Your old portal may or may not work - if you upgrade to the Customer Portal then you can use the portal code that comes with that in order to host the website.  Please note that we have only tested the upgrade experience from the CRM 4 customer portal not specifically from the older eservice or events accelerator that predated the customer portal accelerator.

Jun 4, 2014 at 3:01 PM
Can you migrate from the MSA E-service to the customer portal? I am trying to upgrade to CRM2013 but the port is using the 4.0 SDK.