CRM Notifications - Technical

Coordinator
Nov 1, 2008 at 3:15 AM
This discussion is aimed at collecting feedback about the CRM Notifications Accelerator for Microsoft Dynamics CRM from a technical standpoint:
  • Are there areas of the accelerator that you are having problems understanding or deploying?
  • Technically, what enhancements would you like to see included in future releases of the accelerator?
  • How can the documentation be improved?
  • Share your tips and tricks on deploying and using this accelerator!
  • Do you have additional content you would like to contribute to the community that enriches the accelerator further?
  • Any and all feedback is gratefully received!
Nov 5, 2008 at 4:11 PM
Edited Nov 5, 2008 at 4:12 PM
I am still can't download from MS file Exchange site 

Where can I download?
Nov 7, 2008 at 10:33 PM
Edited Nov 7, 2008 at 10:37 PM
Great concept for this application. I am really excited by the whole accelerator project. I found some things that I am happy to help with.

1. There are a large number of entities that are being filtered from having their views exposed. In one specific case object type code 4200 which is the activity(pointer) entity. This means that my saved views that outline tasks queries (or phone calls, etc...) Are not discoverable.

Overall very nice.

I wanted to contact you privately but could not so here it is... There are some clean up issues with the code for instance you instantiate CrmHelper in the rss.aspx page but then never use it since you also instantiate it in the parent class and delegate calls from rss.aspx to the base page. I am happy to contribute a fix to the first issue listed above and small clean up to anything else I see.

Nov 10, 2008 at 10:51 PM

This works pretty well for all views, except for one. When I try to subscribe to the built-in "Active Accounts" system view, I get a CRM error. It only happens on this one view, but this is probably the one view that the most people are interested in subscribing in.

Is anyone else getting this error? I looked at the source code and I don't see what the issue is. I can't step through or compile, I only have the Express Edition of VS 2008.

Here's the error info from Event Viewer:

Exception information:

Exception type: Exception

Exception message: Error in RSS Application: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Request information:

Request URL: http://<crmserver>/<orgname>/isv/RSS/rssdata.aspx?q={00000000-0000-0000-00AA-000010001002}

Request path: /<orgname>/isv/RSS/rssdata.aspx

Stack trace: at MSA_RSS._rssdata.Page_Load()

at System.Web.Util.CalliHelper.ArglessFunctionCaller(IntPtr fp, Object o)

at System.Web.Util.CalliEventHandlerDelegateProxy.Callback(Object sender, EventArgs e)

at System.Web.UI.Control.OnLoad(EventArgs e)

at System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive()

at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint)

Dec 1, 2008 at 8:28 AM
Hello,

nice component and works well.

I discovered one small issue. Full installation may stuck when ISV.config did not contain some expected XML elements like <MenuBar> or <CustomMenus>. This is quite common ISV error where developers try to change ISV file and do not check full config tree of nodes. 

Jiri
Dec 3, 2008 at 1:12 AM
Hi,
Thanks for posting this notifications accelerator.  It is excellent.

One issue/bug is that it arbitrarily limits the results to the first 50 items.  This is an arbitrary limiation - I noticed in the source hard-codes the max results to 50.  It would be ideal if the max results could be configured when subscribing to the feed or set as a querystring parameter. 

DavidMcD