eservice console not working

Jan 6, 2009 at 10:13 AM

The eservice console is not being displayed from within the CRM although the eservice configuration displays and is editable etc.

The install seemed to go OK and the test site etc is working but perhaps I need to copy some more files?

In the event log the error is given as a 404 but the file seems to be there? The link reported is

http://crm/ISV/eService/EntityList.aspx?orgname=ourorg&userlcid=1033&orglcid=2057

and the error give when I put this in a browser is

Server Error in '/' Application.

The resource cannot be found.

Description: HTTP 404. The resource you are looking for (or one of its dependencies) could have been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable.  Please review the following URL and make sure that it is spelled correctly.

Requested URL: /ISV/eService/EntityList.aspx

Jan 6, 2009 at 10:18 AM
Did you copy the configuration dll to the bin directory?  There's more to it than just the aspx pages.
Jan 6, 2009 at 10:21 AM
I copied it to the bin directory under the main CRM web site (not the portal) which I think is where it should be?

Do you know if the .dll relies on any other files?
Jan 7, 2009 at 7:49 PM
Can you check the file/folder permissions in ISV and the DLL? Maybe the IIS AppPool user (mostly NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE) doesn't have Read/Execute permissions on the newly added files?
Jan 12, 2009 at 12:18 PM
I am also having this problem and have given networks services full permission to the the ISV folder and to the dll added.
Jan 13, 2009 at 4:03 PM

I've not got any further with this yet but the stack trace seems to indicate that it's falling over inside the SDK when trying to communicate with the CRM.  Here is the trace....

Stack trace: at System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.ReadResponse(SoapClientMessage message, WebResponse response, Stream responseStream, Boolean asyncCall)

at System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.Invoke(String methodName, Object[] parameters)

at Microsoft.Crm.SdkTypeProxy.Metadata.MetadataService.Execute(MetadataServiceRequest Request)

at Utils.GetObjectTypeCode(String entityName, String orgName)

at EntityList.RenderEntityList()

at EntityList.Page_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e)

at System.Web.Util.CalliHelper.EventArgFunctionCaller(IntPtr fp, Object o, Object t, EventArgs e)

at System.Web.Util.CalliEventHandlerDelegateProxy.Callback(Object sender, EventArgs e)

at System.Web.UI.Control.OnLoad(EventArgs e)

at System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive()

at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint)

Jan 14, 2009 at 10:05 AM
Finally got it working -

In the registry HKLM>Software>Microsoft>MSCRM there is a ServerUrl string defined. Ours was the fully qualified dns address for the crm i.e. http://crm.domain.co.uk/MSCRMServices but internally we just use http://crm to browse the site which works fine.

Unfortunately we didn't have this fully qualified URL in the host headers for the site (It still worked if you browsed it - possibly due to the isapi) and the eservice console was calling this then looking for the MSCRMServices using the root of the default site in IIS.

Once the URL was added to the site bingo - the console is working now.

Hopefully this will work for everyone else as well.
Apr 29, 2009 at 11:13 PM
how did you add the URL to the site, I am not sure what you mean by that.  
Apr 29, 2009 at 11:19 PM
The registry key entry on my server did not show the FQDN rather it showed http://servername:80/MSCRMServices  we to just go to http://servername to browse CRM.  
Apr 30, 2009 at 10:02 AM
The URL was added to the CRM website in IIS Right click site>Properties> Web site tab>advanced and add the missing URL into the host headers.
We only ever used the CRM internally so the external DNS had never been added
Apr 30, 2009 at 2:33 PM
Ok thanks I dont think this is my exact issue because like I said the registry Key for the Server URL is not setup with the FQDN rather  http://servername:80/MSCRMServices  we to just go to http://servername to browse CRM.  
Apr 30, 2009 at 2:49 PM
If I open CRM on the CRM server and click on the E-Service Console it works.  However, if I open CRM from any workstation i get the above error message. Any ideas? 
Apr 30, 2009 at 3:16 PM
Are there any errors being logged on the server when you try and browse from a workstation? (or is it the same error logged as above)
Apr 30, 2009 at 3:19 PM

Server Error in '/' Application.

The resource cannot be found.

Description: HTTP 404. The resource you are looking for (or one of its dependencies) could have been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable. Please review the following URL and make sure that it is spelled correctly.

Requested URL: /ISV/eService/EntityList.aspx

Apr 30, 2009 at 3:23 PM
in the system logs on the CRM server it should have some errors logged when you try and browse from a workstation - possibly with a stack trace similar to this ;

Stack trace: at System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.ReadResponse(SoapClientMessage message, WebResponse response, Stream responseStream, Boolean asyncCall)

at System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.Invoke(String methodName, Object[] parameters)

at Microsoft.Crm.SdkTypeProxy.Metadata.MetadataService.Execute(MetadataServiceRequest Request)

at System.Web.Util.CalliHelper.EventArgFunctionCaller(IntPtr fp, Object o, Object t, EventArgs e)

at System.Web.Util.CalliEventHandlerDelegateProxy.Callback(Object sender, EventArgs e)

at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint)

Apr 30, 2009 at 3:29 PM
Thanks for getting back to me so quickly.  

I did check the system and application logs on the CRM server and nothing showed up.  Perhaps I dont have logging turned up all the way.  
Sep 11, 2009 at 9:58 PM

I've the same problem with the eService Console. I've windows 2008 64 bits and SQL Server 2008, did you have any ideas, to workaround with this?

Error Description:

An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Error Details:

Exception of type 'System.Web.HttpUnhandledException' was thrown.

Full Stack:

[WebException: The request failed with HTTP status 401: Unauthorized.]
   at System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.ReadResponse(SoapClientMessage message, WebResponse response, Stream responseStream, Boolean asyncCall)

[HttpUnhandledException: Exception of type 'System.Web.HttpUnhandledException' was thrown.]
   at System.Web.UI.Page.HandleError(Exception e)
   at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequest(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint)
   at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequest()
   at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequest(HttpContext context)
   at ASP.isv_eservice_entitylist_aspx.ProcessRequest(HttpContext context)
   at System.Web.HttpApplication.CallHandlerExecutionStep.System.Web.HttpApplication.IExecutionStep.Execute()
   at System.Web.HttpApplication.ExecuteStep(IExecutionStep step, Boolean& completedSynchronously)
Apr 21, 2010 at 1:13 PM

I'm getting the exact same error as pepucapichi. Server 2008 w/ SQL 2008.

All the console pages fail when trying to hit either the CrmService or MetadataService.