Accelerators with IFD

Feb 11, 2009 at 4:26 PM
Hi,

I would like to know if these Accelerator work with IFD deployments? Most specifically, Event Management and eService.

I have looked at the eService Install doc and it suggests that you need to setup ASP.Net Membership but does not state where it is to be run. We have two CRM application servers load balanced. does it need installing on both? Also I notice in the install video the CRMWeb user is a copy of the domain admin, is this nesseccary? if so why?

I have many more questions but I'll stop there for now and look forward to a responce.

Regards,

Mike
Feb 12, 2009 at 10:28 AM
I'll jump in with a couple of answers.

They will work in IFD environment.  You just need to change the authentication to SPLA rather than AD.  Haven't tried it myself but aparantly that's all it takes.

No need to have CRMWeb as a copy of admin.  For the demo, this is the quickest and definate way of ensuring the user being used has all the relevant permissions.  In fact, in the real world, you would create Roles for the web user that only provided access to the entities exposed and nothing else.

I would guess ASP.Net Membership only needs to be on the server that is hosting the eService website.  That's where the "membership" resides.  The ASP.Net Membership stores the usernames and passwords for the contacts that have access to crm.  If the Membership login is valid, enter crm as CRMWeb.

Still getting up to speed with it all myself so I look forward to more learned responses.

Cheers
John
Feb 20, 2009 at 4:44 PM
Thanks John.

Anyone know how to change the authentication code to allow IFD integration?

Thanks,

Mike
Mar 16, 2009 at 10:07 AM
After the same info now that I have the portal running on the CRM VPC and done some basic customisations. Want to now enable on the production IFD CRM.

Anyone done it?
May 11, 2009 at 7:29 PM

Do you need to use IFD if you want external contacts to be able to sign into and create cases with the e-service?  

Oct 8, 2009 at 4:59 AM

Again a quick question, Can eService be installed on a seperate server, other than CRM App and CRM DB Server...

Oct 8, 2009 at 6:41 AM
vjapu wrote:
After the same info now that I have the portal running on the CRM VPC and done some basic customisations. Want to now enable on the production IFD CRM.

Anyone done it?

I'm in the process of doing this now. The authentication method needs to be changed. I have most things working but I'm currently wrestling with getting all the permissions right for my CrmWebUser.

Oct 8, 2009 at 6:48 AM
pslager wrote:

Do you need to use IFD if you want external contacts to be able to sign into and create cases with the e-service?  

No, that's not absolutely necessary, but it depends on where you host the portal web site. The public-facing web portal that you create obviously needs to be 'internet facing' but web users have no direct connection with the CRM server, so your CRM installation can be a straight 'on premise'. The devil is always in the details.

Oct 8, 2009 at 6:50 AM
kamaldeep wrote:

Again a quick question, Can eService be installed on a seperate server, other than CRM App and CRM DB Server...

The eService accelerator has some custom components that must be installed on the CRM server. The public-facing eservice portal web site can be installed on a different server, though. In fact, it probably should be..

Apr 27, 2010 at 1:22 PM

Anyone know how to change the autentication to SPLA?

When I activate IFD on the CRM server, my portal stops working...

/f

Apr 27, 2010 at 1:31 PM

You have to use the Discovery service to search for an identify the correct organization, then you ask it for an authentication token against that org. The token that you receive must then be used by the CrmService for any requests, instead of AD credentials. Obviously, you can find full details in the CRM SDK.

--Tim Long