Link in signup email in eService

May 18, 2009 at 5:41 PM

When the workflow generates the "sign-up" email, part of the email template body looks like this:

Please click the following link to setup your Support portal account:
http://servername/createuseraccount.aspx?id={EncodedContactID(Encrypt the Contact Record Id for the Email)}

When the actual email goes out, it looks like this

http://servername/createuseraccount.aspx?id= enyvtQhyCzvVkb2BeaoE1IWR7U6P%2bdXwZ0WxmbYIyAsUjbLDiuoJchXz8NmP39vx (I purposely added the space so that the codeplex HTML tool wouldn't underline past the "id". Not there in the actual email.)

If the email recipient clicks the link, they get an error because the encoded contact id isn't part of the link. If they copy and paste the entire string into their browser's address bar - it works.

I've spent many hours trying to fix this, but just today - I re-watched the installation video and the same issue exists there.  In the video, they copy and paste the link into the browser, even though the text of the email template (provided with the accelerator) says "click the following link".

I'm guessing this is a CRM limitation, as opposed to an issue with the accelerator.  It would have been very nice for this to have been documented somewhere so that I didn't spend so long trying to fix it. (That's the rant part.)

Having said all of that - any ideas how to get CRM email merge to properly deal with this situation?

Jeff Trotman

Jun 8, 2009 at 10:35 AM

Hi Jeff,

I too had this problem and seem to have found a workaround after many attempts.

I found that in the email editor for the sign up email stage of the workflow, if I placed the cursor between the 'id' and '=' sign and pressed backspace, the hyperlink was removed but no characters were lost.

I then published the workflow and the resulting email sign-up had the full hyperlink in it!

I hope this helps.

Kind Regards,

Rob Boyers

CRM Consultant

Jun 9, 2009 at 3:32 PM

To follow up on the last post, for a better solution try the following:

Create a new nvarchar attribute on the contact entity.

Create an update record step between the 'Encrypt the Contact Record Id for the Email' and the 'send account sign up email' step that writes the following into the new attribute (amend the server/port accordingly and add the custom workflow step after the 'id=')

<a href=http://crm:5556/createuseraccount.aspx?id={EncodedContactId(Encrypt the Contact Record Id for the Email)}>Sign up here!</a>

Then amend the sign up email form to insert the contents of the new attribute. In the above example, you will get a hyperlinked 'Sign up here!' appearing instead of the long link above.

Jul 21, 2009 at 10:47 AM

the url formatting plugin on this link is what i used... the other parts of the plugin helped a lot

Nov 17, 2009 at 10:25 AM

Hi Guys,

I'm having the same exact problem. RobBoyers' first solution looks like what I need however when i press delete between "id" and "=" and hit "Save & Close" just before the email editor window closes I can see it underlying the wrong part again. When I execute the workflow it still creates the partial link. Any thoughts on what I'm doing wrong?

Unfortunately plugins are not an option and we'd very much prefer if we can solve this without the helper attribute.

Thanks in advance,

Dec 11, 2010 at 6:14 PM

Hello there,

I am having the same problem, not being able to remove the link by "putting the cursor between (etc...)" - an instance before the window closes after saving and closing I can see the auto-format underline and relinking the text.

@StefanG: Did you solve the problem on your CRM?

kind regards